Re: Debian/Gnome menu

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 06:38:26PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After recent events [1], is there any chance that the gnome menu might
> get sorted out sometime soon?
>
> Discussions on debian-devel about the menu in the past seem to have
> turned into flame wars about what technology we should be using - did
> any good come out of this?

KDE maintainer Chris Cheney has implemented a menu-method that create
a freedesktop compliant menu structure from the Debian menu. It could be
worthwhile to share this menu structure between KDE and GNOME, at least
for maintainability.

> Even if nothing is being done to improve the menu package, or possibly
> standardise it, I think that a lot can be done from the gnome side of
> things right now. Why do we have a separate Debian section at the bottom
> of the menu? Why isn't it integrated into the main sections of the menu?

I would advise you to continue to separate the Debian layout from the
main layout. Latest KDE release was changed to do that. It was deemed less
confusing than trying to retrofit the Debian layout in the GNOME layout.

I have made some checks of gnome-panel menu-method and it seems to work
correctly, in particular the menu-sections translations are working.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org> Debian menu maintainer.

Imagine a large red swirl here.