Re: gconf / orbit rc

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 23:59, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> orbit allows one to use TCP to locate remote services, as opposed to
> just a local socket. This is wonderful for NFS mounted home directories
> with gconf. Gconf used to use this feature by saving the remote address
> of the gconf instance in ~/.gconfd. That way all shared computers would
> have the information to contact, remotely, the currently running gconf
> instance. However, gconf has apparently moved this file into
> /tmp/gconfd-$user. This has caused it to no longer function, since /tmp
> is not shared. So, basically, Gconf has broken the TCP functionality of
> Orbit. :)

I knew not updating the GConf README like I promised would bite me in
the arse at some point.

Executive Summary:

GConf 2.0 and 2.2 used locks in $HOME by default. This allowed NFS
people to turn on ORBit's IP support and get remote GConf.  However, it
also broke in many interesting ways for people whose desktop had just
crashed.

GConf 2.4 onwards reverses this.  By default lock files are stored in
/tmp, and if you have NFS $HOME and wish to use remote GConf servers,
you must disable this.  Configure ORBit to allow IP connections, and
export GCONF_GLOBAL_LOCKS before starting GNOME.

Honest, I will update the FAQ and commit it upstream.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross@burtonini.com