Re: glibc 2.7-3 MIGRATED to testing causes system to stop starting new programs

PieterB a écrit :
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 06:04:54PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 11:33:47PM +0100, PieterB wrote:
>>> There were problems with upgrading libc to 2.7-3 and after that I could not
>>> start a lot of programs anymore. I tried installing libc 2.7-4 manualy with
>>> dpkg, but I couldn't get it done.
>> What does "could not start a lot of programs anymore" mean?
>
> I will elaborate a bit more. The systems seems not able to read/access
> directory on the disk. For example:
>
> # dpkg -l libc6-i686
> dpkg-query: cannot scan updates directory `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/': Unknown
> error 530
> foobar:/var/log# apt-get update
> E: Unable to read /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ - opendir (530 Unknown error 530)
>
> # dpkg -i libc6_2.7-4_i386.deb
> dpkg: cannot scan updates directory `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/': Unknown error
> 530
>
> I can still access the directories with 'cd', but accessing the file index
> (with shell 'ls' or programs), does not seem to work.
>
> I'm quite sure there is nothing wrong with the disk (it's a RAID-1 SAN on a
> VPS). The webserver fortuately just works fine for static pages. I'll try to
> reboot tommorow.

I guess you are using a RedHat kernel version 2.6.9-5.ELsmp. This kernel
is unsupported due to broken RedHat specific patches. Please ask your
VPS provider for an upgrade to a non RedHat kernel or a more recent
RedHat kernel.