Re: glibc 2.7-3 MIGRATED to testing causes system to stop starting new programs

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 06:04:54PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 11:33:47PM +0100, PieterB wrote:
> > There were problems with upgrading libc to 2.7-3 and after that I could not
> > start a lot of programs anymore. I tried installing libc 2.7-4 manualy with
> > dpkg, but I couldn't get it done.
> What does "could not start a lot of programs anymore" mean?

I will elaborate a bit more. The systems seems not able to read/access
directory on the disk. For example:

# dpkg -l libc6-i686
dpkg-query: cannot scan updates directory `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/': Unknown
error 530
foobar:/var/log# apt-get update
E: Unable to read /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ - opendir (530 Unknown error 530)

# dpkg -i libc6_2.7-4_i386.deb
dpkg: cannot scan updates directory `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/': Unknown error
530

I can still access the directories with 'cd', but accessing the file index
(with shell 'ls' or programs), does not seem to work.

I'm quite sure there is nothing wrong with the disk (it's a RAID-1 SAN on a
VPS). The webserver fortuately just works fine for static pages. I'll try to
reboot tommorow.

I can't access the machine with ssh. I get:

One of the upgrades on http://gewis.nl/~pieterb/tmp/dpkg.log caused serious
problems.

Is it possible to promote glibc 2.7-4 to testing to prevent stuff like this
happening. PTS currently says "Too young, only 1 of 10 days old"

Regards,

Pieter