Re: More about this bug

At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:13:11 +0900,
GOTO Masanori wrote:

> At Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:58:16 -0500,
> Andr�Rold�wrote:
> > I got the following compiling lilo (This seems to be a gcc problem also):
> >
> > geometry.c: En la función `lvm_bmap':
> > geometry.c:438: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
> > geometry.c:450: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
> >
> > The relevant lines are:
> >
> > unsigned short iop;
> > static int lvmfd;
> > struct lv_bmap *lbm;
> > line 438: if (ioctl(lvmfd, LVM_GET_IOP_VERSION, &iop) < 0)
> >
> > line 450:  if (ioctl(lvmfd, LV_BMAP, lbm) < 0) {
>
> It described at include/linux/lvm.h in 2.4, but there is no such file
> in 2.6.  LVM is completely replaced to DM.  In another word, lilo
> can't compile under 2.6 kernel, and it's not ready for LVM.  This is
> bad.
>
> At least software like lilo should fix for 2.6 kernel.  It should
> handle both 2.4 and 2.6.  This is lilo bug.  I would like to reassign
> to lilo.
>
> However, this bug is caused by linux-kernel-headers.  One idea is to
> provide linux-kernel-headers-2.4?  Or lilo should include kernel
> headers?  I don't think the latter is bad because each package
> maintains kernel headers.  It can absorb the kernel version difference
> for each package, but each time we need to track kernel and check kernel
> headers.
>
> We need to discuss about this kind of area.  Any suggestions?

I discussed with Daniel, and he suggested to use kernel-headers-2.4
package, or copy header constants to the file.  The latter can be
easily fixed for this case.

Back to the idea to use kernel-headers-2.4 package.
linux-kernel-headers package is now 2.6 based, and it governs under
/usr/include/{asm,linux,asm-generic}.  This is not changed.  So lilo
can be fixed using kernel-headers-2.4 package.

However the problem is for example kernel-headers-2.4.21-4 package has
"/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.21-4" dir.  This means that lilo package
can't use kernel-headers-2.4 package easily, and lilo package links to
this kenrel-header package strongly.  kernel-headers package is
modified sometimes frequently, so many packages link to different
kernel-headers package.  The one idea is that kernel-headers-2.4.*
packages provide /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4 symbolic links.  We need
to think about the case: multiple dirs are existed (like 2.4.21-4,
2.4.22-1, ...), though.  But this idea leaves some
linux-kernel-headers roles, and I don't think using kernel-headers is
always good.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
-- gotom