Re: More about this bug

At Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:58:16 -0500,
Andr�Rold�wrote:
> I got the following compiling lilo (This seems to be a gcc problem also):
>
> geometry.c: En la función `lvm_bmap':
> geometry.c:438: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
> geometry.c:450: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
>
> The relevant lines are:
>
> unsigned short iop;
> static int lvmfd;
> struct lv_bmap *lbm;
> line 438: if (ioctl(lvmfd, LVM_GET_IOP_VERSION, &iop) < 0)
>
> line 450:  if (ioctl(lvmfd, LV_BMAP, lbm) < 0) {

It described at include/linux/lvm.h in 2.4, but there is no such file
in 2.6.  LVM is completely replaced to DM.  In another word, lilo
can't compile under 2.6 kernel, and it's not ready for LVM.  This is
bad.

At least software like lilo should fix for 2.6 kernel.  It should
handle both 2.4 and 2.6.  This is lilo bug.  I would like to reassign
to lilo.

However, this bug is caused by linux-kernel-headers.  One idea is to
provide linux-kernel-headers-2.4?  Or lilo should include kernel
headers?  I don't think the latter is bad because each package
maintains kernel headers.  It can absorb the kernel version difference
for each package, but each time we need to track kernel and check kernel
headers.

We need to discuss about this kind of area.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
-- gotom