Re: firewall/webserver combo

Paul:

I have had the exact problem, right down to the cable modem issue. Assuming you
have support for both these cards fully integrated into the kernel then you will
want to add an append line to LILO. You can get the exact syntax from the
Ethernet-HOWTO on your system. If you added your NICs as modules then you can
load them both like you would load any module. The error you are getting looks
like either you are not giving all the parameters needed, or something may be
misconfigured in the kernel (sorry Im not a programmer).

The solution I came up with so that Cable and Intranet can co-exist is to use
IP-Aliasing. I let the Cablemodem have eth0, then I added the two lines to my
rc.local:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
/sbin/route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.0 eth0:0

(The x's are obviously my ip address.)

This may not be what you want, but it has worked for me for almost three weeks
straight with only one problem. ifconfig does not correctly report the packet use
for eth0:0, but that is where I use IP Packet Accounting (ipfwadm -A) to
compensate. ;-)

- Ken