firewall/webserver combo

I'd like to set up a P166 as a webserver connected to a cable modem.
I'd also like the system to act as a firewall for my "intranet" (a
NeXTstation, a print server, and eventually a w98/Linux box).

The P166 has two NICs: RealTek RTL8039 and 3Com 3C900 Combo, both PCI.
I'd like to connect the RTL8039 to the cable modem, and the 3C900 to my
LAN.  The RTL8039 worked with the cable modem under w95, and the 3C900
under Solaris-x86 7 (all on the P166).

I did a floppy install of the current/stable/slink base system with all
ip-masquerading modules in the kernel.  That went smoothly.

But I see error messages when using "ifconfig eth0 ..." both at boot-up
and as root: SIOCSIF{ADDR, NETMASK, and BRDADDR}: Operation not supported
by device.

The cable modem seems to see the RTL8039 as a valid connection
(according to its status lights) but not the 3C900 (which is OK).

Any ideas on how I can get Linux to at least accept the RTL8039 and
eventually the 3C900?

Thanks for any help!

Tod
prie@abl.com