Re: esperanto locale kaj glibc

I do not see this message archived at debian-esperanto. I think I send it, but I am resending it just in case something was wrong.

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:

Just to let you know about this, I do not know if the best is to modify the glibc22-eo_EO.dpatch or is better to suggest glibc maintainers to modify locales-supported.dpatch to avoid modifying the SUPPORTED file from different patches with possible incompatibilities.

Please, cc me on replies, I am not suscribed to the list (and by the way you can use esperanto for the reply)

Bone, mi respondos en Esperanto.

Tio estas bona por mi.

Mi ne sufiĉe komprenas la problemon por sugesti solvon, sed mi pensas,

Sorry, I was probably not clear. The problem is that esperanto does not
show up in the locales package debconf shared question unless previously
added to /etc/locale.gen.

The relevant section in the debconf dialog is (before adding it)

[ ] en_ZW.UTF-8 UTF-8
[ ] es_AR ISO-8859-1

with /etc/locales.gen untouched. If I manually add the esperanto locale
there, (eo_EO ISO-8859-3), esperanto does show up, since the locales
package debconf config file seems to merge the contents of
/etc/locale.gen (marked as selected) with the available locales list (in
the locales.config file)

[ ] en_ZW.UTF-8 UTF-8
[*] eo_EO ISO-8859-3
[ ] es_AR ISO-8859-1

My (blind) guess was that it can be fixed just adding eo_EO to the list
of supported locales in the locales-supported.dpatch file. Seems that
__SUPPORTED_LOCALES__ value is written to locales.config at some time of
the glibc build process by debian/locales.mk (and is not any internal
glibc variable as I thought before), so that will result in a full and
recent locales list to be written to the locales.config file.

I think a simple wishlist bug "Please add esperanto locale to the list
of supported locales" does suffice for that. Do I file it?

ke la lokalaĵo por Esperanto devus esti "eo_XX" anstataŭ "eo_EO". Tion
mi jam proponis al la glibc-uloj:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-07/msg00142.html

Some time ago I was googling a bit about that, and I vaguely remember
that some people even proposed a plain "eo" for that, (I do not know if
that will activate LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE or a country definition is
needed for that). If a plain "eo" is not possible or desirable, I also
find eo_XX better than eo_EO, but I would not change this until glibc
upstream has made a choice.

Ĉu eblas akcepti ambaŭ en Debian kiel ekvivalentojn?

My knowledge about glibc is small, but I guess adding esperanto to the
locales alias file in any of both forms, and another alias as the other
might suffice. Something like

esperanto eo_EO.ISO-8859-3
eo_XX     eo_EO.ISO-8859-3

Salutoj

(bonvolu cc min. kaj respondi en Esperanto)

Agustin Martin Domingo, Dpto. de Fisica, ETS Arquitectura Madrid,
(U. Politecnica de Madrid)  tel: +34 91-336-6536, Fax: +34 91-336-6554,
email:agmartin@aq.upm.es, http://corbu.aq.upm.es/~agmartin/welcome.html