Re: Policy changes which completely break apt-cross

Hello Jim,

2010/6/29 Jim Heck <jim.heck@oracle.com>:
> How would the replacement of apt-cross and dpkg-cross affect building the cross compiler from scratch?

Building a cross compiler from scratch it is different issue than the
one Neil is pointing out. This issue mainly affects ``apt-cross`` and
dependency resolvers, ``dpkg-cross`` functionality is not affected at
all. So you do not need to worry about those packages going away,
but...

... toolchain packages are under heavy development thanks to Ubuntu
and Linaro and binutils will change its way to be compiled for cross
from the binary-cross target to the standard dpkg-buildpackage. It
shall be documented on the README.cross file under binutils package.
We'll update wiki documentation as soon as it hits Debian/unstable.

Most likely this policy issue will not hit low level packages used to
get cross toolchains.

> alternate installation prefix directory that is under /opt/... instead of
> /usr/...  My process uses apt-cross and dpkg-cross to get the crossed
> libraries needed in order to compile binutils and gcc packages (with
> makefiles slightly modified to achieve the alternate prefix installation
> directory).  In fact there are just a few very generic variable
> modifications necessary to the binutils and gcc rules makefiles to achieve
> the alternate prefix support, and I was thinking of providing the diffs back
> to the binutils and GCC packages in case they could be incorporated and of
> use to others wishing do do the same kind of thing.  If anyone is interested
> I can post the diffs here and would appreciate feedback on how best to
> submit them upstream.

If you want to share them in the mailing list for comments or for
inspiration of others, I guess that would be fine, but I think those
patches are not much interesting to Debian packaging, as cross
compilers should not leave under /opt/... according to policy and
possibly there is no need to change prefix names for the tools. In any
case, feel free to post them here. Also, note that ``buildcross``
(``emchain`` replacement) is now in experimental, so any comments to
make it better or more flexible (to suit you) are welcome.

So, the basic problem arises when you want to automatically pull libs
and headers to cross build your application with apt-cross. There are
other ways we have not had the time to check yet, using ``xdeb`` (not
in Debian (yet) but in Ubuntu launchpad) which I am unsure if it is
also affected by this.

Kind Regards,
--
 Héctor Orón