Re: Policy changes which completely break apt-cross

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:51:33 +0200
Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:00:48AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > apt-cross cannot be fixed to work around this issue because it has to
> > ignore Architecture:all packages in order to be able to resolve *any*
> > dependency chains without getting into a complete mess with packages
> > like debconf and perl.
>
> Can apt-cross be made to download the Contents file and use that to
> check whether a package contains useful files?

No. The definition of "useful files" is only within the remit of
dpkg-cross and dpkg-cross can (and does) change the meaning of the term
without regard to apt-cross.

> This is what I'm using to
> generate the packages in "cross-repo", and that has been mostly
> successful (it even handles the "flex" package correctly).

Mostly successful is what we have currently with apt-cross, so that is
no improvement. apt-cross will continue to be mostly successful in
Squeeze and Sid for some time to come, but for those dependency chains
where it fails, the failure cannot be fixed. That is not an acceptable
solution.

> The only issue this system has is that packages that do not provide any
> files are not expected to depend on packages that do, which removes
> metapackages like libboost-dev; this cannot be avoided easily as almost
> all packages' dependency chains end at libc6.

That doesn't help apt-cross.

> Ignoring arch:all -dev packages is also a problem with header-only C++
> libraries, such as large parts of Boost and libasio; both of these are
> handled fine in the cross repo as I ignore the Architecture field and
> just look at the file list.

The parser which determines what is "useful" is not necessarily in step
with the version of dpkg-cross installed on any particular system.

This is about resolving dependencies, especially between suites. The
cross-repo stuff is single suite.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/