Re: Help for mipsel building environment

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:06:19 +0000 (UTC)
Marc Zonzon <marc.zonzon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Loïc Minier <lool <at> dooz.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010, Marc Zonzon wrote:
> > > What I'm looking for is not a simple toolchain, but a build environment
> > > As far as I understand the way to go would be with pdebuild-cross
> > >  and pbuilder
> >  For Linaro and basing on Ubuntu, we use a tool called "xdeb" which you
> >  could consider some kind of dpkg-cross frontend.  It can be used in
> >  multiple ways, you can tell it to build all the packages which are out
> > [...]
>
> Thanks a lot Loïc
>
> When a dpkg-cross frontend to manage dependencies is useful,
>  I don't know if apt-cross is still usable or not, but I used directly
>  dpkg-cross ant it is painful.
>
> But your Linaro project seems armel only, does it applies to mipsel?
>
> And it does not seem to solve my first problem, a build environment
>  for debian cross building.

Currently, the build environment for debian cross-building is
pdebuild-cross which defaults to armel but should work for mipsel too.
It installs the Lenny toolchains from Emdebian into a chroot using
multistrap and then allows you to build packages as normally inside a
cross-building chroot using hooks into pbuilder - i.e. a disposable
chroot.

If you prefer to install the toolchains on your main system, then you
only need apt-cross or some other way of downloading and installing
cross-dependencies. apt-cross is far from perfect and it is
particularly difficult to use outside a chroot or when not basing your
system on a stable release. Updating cross-dependencies is what usually
breaks apt-cross. (This is why pdebuild-cross uses a disposable chroot).

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/