RE: Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:01, David Meggy wrote:
> I really can't see a really embedded system being able to pull binary
> packages from a Debian server.  I think any really embedded system,
> would need a server in the middle, to watch debian (security) sources,
> then recompile, and re-offer the packages as binaries.

That would be a huge undertaking seeing all the microprocessor variants
even with a family. For example, PowerPC. You can't run PPC code across
the board, there are FPU, cache and other issues. Its a mess, but
embedded Linux vendors have gone down this road and offer BSPs for all
these families and variants. So its possible. However, I can't see a
PPC823 natively compiling its own distribution of debian. How long would
that take? This is something to consider.

Craig

Dr. Craig Hollabaugh, craig@hollabaugh.com
Author of Embedded Linux: Hardware, Software and Interfacing
www.embeddedlinuxinterfacing.com