RE: Embedded Debian, the 5 lb bag.

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 13:08, Ken Emmons, Jr. wrote:
> It seems that it would be difficult at best to satisfy the needs of
someone who wishes to do "extreme embedded linux" with *any*
distribution. I am probably correct in saying that most people out there
Looking at the future I think it will be more common to find 32 bit
micros with more and more flash on chip.  It sure would be nice to have
a common base to work with these small system on chips as well as larger
systems.  Maybe it isn't possible to build a distribution for the
extreme embedded but I'd have to give a thumbs up for Erik Anderson's
uwoody.  It may use uClibc, but adding more programs is as easy as
apt-get source --build package.

I'd say the most desirable thing would be to go and be able to
reconfigure a package in the build process to optionally include support
for options.  For example lets take a hypothetical situation with
someone building a system with only a program called image-viewer.  It
would be really nice if there was an automated way to select packages
(image-viewer, C library, kernel, shell utils, system utils, etc.), and
then optionally rebuilding and reconfiguring packages.  The image viewer
wouldn't support for all image file types.  Only the ones that are being
used (jpegs and pngs only, no gifs or bmps).  If uClibc is being used
then it could further be customized by eliminating regex, locales, etc.

I really can't see a really embedded system being able to pull binary
packages from a Debian server.  I think any really embedded system,
would need a server in the middle, to watch debian (security) sources,
then recompile, and re-offer the packages as binaries.

David

--
     David Meggy

Technical Solutions Inc.