Re: stupid mistake. what should I do?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:10:10AM +0200, Ronny Aasen wrote:
nigel barker wrote:
Owing to a huge amount of stupidity on my part, I confused my konsole tabs and performed some operations on (Etch) tjener by mistake. Namely I replaced apt sources with lenny-test, updated and (incredibly, in spite of the huge list of stuff that came up) upgraded! I only realised at the end of the day what I had done, and since homes and printers, lwat and such daily stuff is working still, I came home without trying to undo the damage.

What should I do now? Put back the etch sources and upgrade again? Just leave it? Prepare a new tjener as fast as I can?

Please go ahead and ridicule me now if you want. I deserve it.

Thanks

Downgrade is not supported. that will probably just hurt more.

you just did part of the upgrade process. I would check your backups first of all. if those are valid you could restore your systemfiles back to etch.

If those are not valid, or you realy want to upgrade to lenny, you should take a backup right away to have some kind of point to restore to. And then read the upgrade document [1] and try to compleate the upgrade.

Good luck.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny

I believe it makes sense to emphasize that upgrades are not supported either, and that above documentation is not considered official.

More specifically:

  * Downgrades are not supported by Debian, so cannot be supported by
    Debian-edu either.
* Upgrades are supported by Debian, but not by Debian-edu - according to this email which has not since been challenged (only other parts of same mail was further discussed): http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2009/08/msg00033.html

I suspect that some upgrade problems are tied to Debian bug#311188. Severity of that bug was once of high severity but since lowered by Debian release managers as it was concidered to never trigger in Debian. It certainly triggers in Debian-edu as it is essential to standard Debian-edu install routines.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas