Re: Welcome Rahul (was Re: New debian package maintainers - Sudeesh and Sagar)

On Thu, 2016-02-11 at 18:41 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I personally do not use web boards, as they seem (socially, if not
> technically) optimized for "fly-by" comments: Easy to get involved
> at
> first which raise the risk of posting before you get a feel for the
> posting style at the place, and at the same time (arguably) less easy
> stay focused in a conversation.  Obviously a quite biased personal
> judgement, but nevertheless one that might help notice how
> technically
> similar communication media may socially have different expectations
> rendering them less ideal for bridging.

I think this is where the biggest challenge is. Many people (you and me
included) prefer mailing lists over web forums.

But the fact is, there is this crowd that prefers web over email. If we
could get both groups to collaborate, it would be a bigger stronger
community.

I glanced at ask.debian.net, and it does not look like an active forum.
Building a portal is one part, building it with activity is the bigger
challenge.

As for the style, preference and expectation; yes, that is a challenge.
I had the same with the Mail Parser for Drupal. But given its benefits
that it could bring, I am hopeful people would be willing to adjust
certain preferences.

Having built a subset of this solution, I know how challenging it is
with these bridging tools. But I always push it with the hope that
perhaps a better group of web experts may be able to build it. ;-)

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com