Re: Plans ahead for the MiniDebConf 2014

at bottom :-

On 9/5/14, R.Harish Navnit <harishnavnit@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> So finally, I know that the CFP is due very soon and we're running tight on
> the dates, but can I have a quick show of hands of sort(by replying to this
> thread) of all the interested speakers from within the Debian community ?
> I'm hoping we'll have a healthy response in a (very) short time span.
> Otherwise, I'd recommend making the event a generic one and if that means
> operating under a different name/tag, so be it. Debian could still be the
> partners of the event in that case. What needs to be done has to be done.
>
> Warm Regards.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-dug-in/2014/09/msg00012.html
>
> Thanking You,
> R.Harish Navnit
> The Enigma <http://harishnavnit.wordpress.com>

Dear Harish,
Thank you for articulating what me and Praveen were trying to
articulate all along. I am open to having the event under either name,
whether it's 'mini debconf' or 'Foss meet' or any other name as well.

Talks and demos I could help out with (Debian-centric) :-

a. Brief about Debian (the community, project and a bit about Governance)
b. The Debian release process ( experimental, unstable/sid, testing and stable.)
c. Lead Debian install-fest (with help of volunteers of course and
hopefully a Debian mirror set up as shared by Issac)
d. Some Debian shell/terminal commands (this I would like to share
with Praveen or whoever Debian contributor is available at that
moment) as there are many commands which we use and forget.
e. Brief about updates and upgrades cycle and share about deb-delta
(how it works and things like that.)

I am open to the talks and demos being shared or/and completely taken
over by someone else as well. I would be happy with just being part of
any 1 or 2 talks.

Non-Debian centric talks :-

1. tor - basics of tor, benefits, advantages, downsides etc. The
privacy aspects could be opened to some sort of panel discussion as
well, as there are implications of not acting one way or the other.

2. distributed computing - basics of distributed computing, install
Boinc and try to run some project and see how it works. There is still
lot to be work done in the area esp. from a user POV.

3. Wikipedia and sister projects and some interesting wiki projects .
- this would be more of a web resource kind of talk. Depending on
interest we could either go more generic or be more specific with the
Wikipedia example with wiki fights, sock puppets and all kinds of
interesting which happens therein.

4. Software licensing :- (IANAL = I am not a lawyer) . This could be
more of a panel discussion and we could use plenty of anecdotes, ideas
and understandings of what has worked, works, hows and why's could all
be put up.

Those topics are on top of my head the moment. As shared before, it's
both the University and the community that both needs and reputation
are safe-guarded at all times. Look at all the options shared as my
CfP. I don't want to do many talks and would be happy just with 1-2
talks. Want to take the opportunity to learn and listen to as many
people as possible.

Till l8er.