Re: jessie, GNOME 3.8, gnome-fallback and systemd

at bottom :-

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <rrs@researchut.com> wrote:
> The stand that the Debian GNOME team is taking would be interesting.
> At one end, we want to add more flavors in the form of Debian
> GNU/kFreeBSD and Debian GNU/Hurd, on the other hand we will make the
> Debian version of GNOME not ready for these variants. It will be
> another dragging topic in tech-ctte's court.

I can't claim I understand the motives of the Debian GNOME team better
than you but I *think* at least one of the reasons is systemd is only
Linux as there has been no effort to implement in non-Linux worlds
hence for the other two variants you mentioned above either somebody
would have to step up the plate and either provide systemd
functionality or fix the init in ways that other updated/upgraded
components which use/recommend/ systemd can use their init
functionality and still be able to use the newer components so there's
parity on release on the software front (or to the best it can be.)

 Also many people distrust systemd because it takes over many systems
which are/were independent simultaneously and is an intrusive change.
Hence the ~1500 odd messages when systemd was proposed to be even
included in GNOME last yr.

It was in response of the events happening outside Debian that Debian
introduced dependancy-based booting see for e.g.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00269.html as well as
the discussion from
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00979.html . Now some
users would neither know nor care which init system is giving them
service as long it boots properly and does it with minimum of fuss,
while some others (like me)  who are happy with the current state of
things and do like and use to tweak /etc/default/rcS to have optimum
speed and optimum verbose output among other thing.

Do I come in the minimum group or maximum group have no idea but
letting go of this functionality would be little painful (if systemd
does become the status quo)

This I think might be some of the factors or something else entirely
that GNOME devs. are thinking and stating. I'll try to see if one of
the devs. can come here and share exactly what they are thinking.

Till l8er.
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17