Re: jessie, GNOME 3.8, gnome-fallback and systemd

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just a quick note - one of the maintainers of the GNOME ecosystem just
> published this blog post.
>
> http://np237.livejournal.com/33660.html
>
> Basically asking people to step up if they want GNOME  WITHOUT systemd
> in jessie otherwise systemd would be the default in jessie.

Sometimes I wonder if there were really technical reasons to do so...
The more I think, the more I fail to see a valid reason. First, it was
network-manager. And now, systemd. These look more of a political
motive. When KDE was ripped apart (during the transition to 4.x), they
did some good work in architecting the pillars of KDE - Solid, Phonon,
Akonadi etc. Not everything was a success, but at least they tried to
think in the right direction of providing the user with "choice".

The stand that the Debian GNOME team is taking would be interesting.
At one end, we want to add more flavors in the form of Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD and Debian GNU/Hurd, on the other hand we will make the
Debian version of GNOME not ready for these variants. It will be
another dragging topic in tech-ctte's court.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com