Re: Multi-arch branches

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> (30/01/2012):
> > That it seems to work does not mean it's fine, I just fixed some days
> > ago bogus arguments passed to maintainer scripts, for example.

I would love to be informed when you find mistakes in what I did. I would
love to be able to fix anything that's not good in what I did instead of
having to wait for you to do it.

> Possible bugs can easily be found, and then fixed, by exposing packages to…
> users. Experimental also means only people pulling it will be exposed to
> it anyway.

+1

I fixed more bugs in the branch because it has been in use in Ubuntu than bugs
that have been found by Guillem's review. That said both are valuable but there's
no reason to stall everything because you have not finished your review.

> > Thanks, I had pushed your build patch to hadrons' master branch. I see
> > Raphaël has queued it too, although the changelog entry is not
> > appropriate in this case.

Ok, I'll drop it from my queue.

> > The code assumes 1.16.2 is the one with multiarch support, earlier
> > versions will not trigger some stuff.
>
> ACK.

Actually, that's your mistake Guillem. The various maintainer scripts
properly use 1.16.2~ for the comparison (and there 1.16.2~multiarch > 1.16.2~).
But you introduced an inconsistency by using 1.16.2 without the tilde for
--assert-multi-arch.  Anyone who has the code for --assert-multiarch has the
full multiarch branch so it's perfectly sane to lower this minimal version.

Anyway this small inconsistency makes no practical difference if
dpkg is configured since the version check is only triggered when dpkg
is in status unpacked, half-configured, half-installed or triggers-awaited
(cf assert_version_support() in src/enquiry.c).

I used 1.16.2~ on purpose because we have users testing the multiarch branch
out of the dpkg-test APT repository which has this kind of versioning.

$ grep 1.16.2 debian/dpkg.* src/enquiry.c
debian/dpkg.postrm:	if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt 1.16.2~; then
debian/dpkg.prerm:        if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt 1.16.2~; then
src/enquiry.c:  struct versionrevision version = { 0, "1.16.2", NULL };

I have fixed this inconsistency in my pu/multiarch/full and have updated the
test-build branch too.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer