Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Fri February 29 2008 06:29:07 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> I personally apply this same policy on repositories that I work and it
> usually makes much easier logs to read.

I'm not a DD but I've been programming since 1963 when I was 7.
Based on decades of software engineering experience, I would
just like to remind you to USE THE FSCKING SOURCE!!!

Logs are not the source.  No matter how much time you waste
fiddling with them, they are really unimportant.  Programmers
need to see what the code is today.  When bisecting a programmer
may care what the code was yesterday.  But no programmer cares
all that much how some other programmer summarized some past
state of the code.  If there's anything important to know it
should be documented in a design document or noted in a comment.
And even those should be taken with a grain of salt.

Time spent prettifying logs is time that could be better spent
programming or packaging or playing with the grandkids.

--Mike Bird