Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:51:41PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > > Does this not also suffer from the problem that branches made from my
> > > triggers branch become unuseable or difficult to merge ?
>
> > git merge --squash is more or less equivalent to applying the patch
> > corresponding to the whole branch. So it will also break merging from
> > other branches based on the merged branch.
>
> Well, they'd need to be squashed down too or similar were they merged
> but it just reduces to the same problem as you've got with keeping the
> history of the triggers branch out of mainline.

Heh, anybody can blindly apply the patches corresponding to the branch
and attach to it a sane commit message.  If that was the real problem, it
would most probably already be done and we wouldn't discuss here.

But Guillem wants to review and understand the code. In this process,
he will rearrange the changes in smaller logical chunks.

If the code had been submitted in that form (easy to review), the branch
would most probably already have been merged and we would be done.

Ceers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog