Re: Triggers status?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog writes ("Re: Triggers status?"):
> > You should have called git-update-server-info before the rsync! :-)
>
> Oh!  Well, I've done that now.  Hopefully that's better.

I just gave a quick look to your branch:

- please rebase it on the current master branch (that way you're sure that
  there are no conflicts)

- please update your git identity, I see "Ian Jackson
  <ian@anarres.relativity.greenend.org.uk>". You should standardize
  your contributions to a single email. FYI, your previous patches have been
  applied as "Ian Jackson <iwj@ubuntu.com>". You can use git-filter-branch
  to rewrite that field automatically.

- please update the commit logs, a copy/paste of the ubuntu changelog
  doesn't look good to me, follow the recommandation of using
  a summary in the first line, then an empty line, then a long
  description.
  see http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/GitUsage
  (this can be done during the interactive rebase process, see man
  git-rebase and its -i option)

- you can also restructure the serie of changes with "git rebase -i origin/master"
  (provided that origin/master is an up-to-date copy of the master branch
  of the main dpkg repository)
  (merge several commits in a single, in particular bug fixes with initial
  implementation so that while reviewing diff you don't find bugs which
  are in fact fixed by a subsequent commit)

  I did this for my deps-rewrite branch, the serie of patchs always
  stayed the same:
  1/ Adding Dpkg::Deps and its testsuite
  2/ Modify dpkg-gencontrol
  3/ Modify dpkg-checkbuildeps

  Each time I had a bugfix, I "squashed" the bugfix commit into the
  corresponding "logical commit" (using git rebase -i origin/master).

I can't judge the content but following the "right form" is more likely to
lead to a quicker review.

Raphaël Hertzog