Re: RFC: Changing of /doc/manuals/ implementation

Rob Bradford wrote:
> I'm proposing a new hierarchy for the /doc/manuals/ tree.

I'd like to object, if I may...

> My suggestion for the hierarchy is as follows:
>
> /doc/manuals/<lang>/<manual-name>/<format>/

Hmm, I just noticed something odd:

HTML	/doc/manuals/<manual-name>/
other	/doc/manuals/<lang>/<manual-name>.<format>.<suffix>

I wonder why this isn't implemented like:

HTML	/doc/manuals/<manual-name>/

This would have the benefit of still relatively short links, preserve
content negotiation, and has a relatively logical placement for other
format files as well.

Getting rid of the /manuals/ component would be nice from a users
point of view, but is probably a little bit more difficult from
an implementators point of view.  However, isn't the computer and
the system meant to support humans instead of vice versa?

Regards,

	Joey

--
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory...
	-- Larry Wall