Re: Proposed MBF: Removal of libfreetype6-dev

On 2023-07-16 22:38 +1000, Hugh McMaster wrote:

> I will be removing the transitional package libfreetype6-dev (from the
> source package freetype) later this year.
>
> Currently, there are 219 build-dependencies and 29 (direct)
> dependencies on libfreetype6-dev, which has been released with
> bullseye and bookworm.
> I plan to file bugs against source packages first and against any
> remaining binary packages later.
>
> A list of affected source and binary packages is attached.
>
> Happy to discuss if anyone has any suggestions or concerns.

My suggestion is to drop the libfreetype6-dev package immediately and
not waste your and other people's time with mass-bug filing, because
libfreetype-dev already has a versioned Provides on libfreetype6-dev.
This is what I did with three transitional -dev packages in ncurses, and
although I had initially been skeptical it worked like a charm.  See the
discussion in #1032708.

Cheers,
       Sven