Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Sun, 2022-10-02 at 10:52 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 10:53 PM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a
> > > good
> > > answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades
> > > (like
> > > Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't
> > > really
> > > have an obvious place to be fixed.
>
> > > Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
> > > bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper
> > > tool?
>
> > For upgrading, people already need to edit their source list to
> > change
> > the suite name, why would it hurt to add one more manual step to
> > change
> > the section name?
>
> I think the difference is that if you don't update your sources.list
> point to the new suite, your system won't upgrade and so the problem
> will
> be very obvious.  But if you currently have non-free configured but
> don't
> add the new firmware section, everything will appear to work but you
> won't
> get new firmware, so the problem may go unnoticed.

In Bullseye we changed the name/syntax for the security repository, and
for that a mention in the release notes was enough, no? Isn't this a
very similar situation? Is it truly necessary to do more than mention
this in the release notes?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi