Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 00:29, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 8/29/19 1:49 AM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > Or if we end up moving to dgit for everything, and we don't want to
> > use pristine-tar (which I like, but I realize that's not an opinion
> > shared by everyone; some people seem to hate it
>
> /me raises hand. I hate it.
>
> Pristine-tar forces you to have multiple branches when you may only need
> a single one. It's also not reliable and may easily generate different
> tarballs for the same tag, which defeats its purpose (and no, the
> workaround to remove all timestamps and order files isn't acceptable).

Pristine-lfs [1] doesn’t have either of these downsides, but needs
git-lfs support.

> Not only that. If upstream uses git, then I just fetch from it, and use
> the upstream tag as reference to run "git archive", which does the job
> very well.
>
> Now, you're talking about upstream using bzr or hg. These are the very
> few minority (and counting...). We may as well get rid of hg and bzr in
> Debian if it doesn't get fixed so it uses Python 3 only... (well, I
> guess someone will wake up and do the work, so this argument doesn't
> count...).

Hg already supports Python 3, but there’s still work to be done, so Hg
will be ready by the time of Python 2 EOL.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/andrewsh/pristine-lfs
[2]: https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/Python3
[3]: https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2017/03/13/from-__past__-import-bytes_literals/

--