Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats

Milan Kupcevic writes ("Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats"):
> I've also seen developers deleting a git tag and then creating a new
> git tag using exactly the same name/release number pointing to
> different commit.

It is possible to avoid some of these problems by using a git server
which does not permit tag rewriting and/or branch rewinding.

The dgit git server has these properties: once you have done `dgit
push' and the tag is on the dgit git server, it can't be deleted or
changed.  Likewise, the suite branches that you push to are
fast-forwarding.  Breaching these rules would involve administrator
intervention; as the administrator I would expect to do that only in
very rare situations, where we need to rewrite history eg to remove
legally dangerous objects.

(Because of the archive's policy about new packages, which permits
reuse of version numbers, there is a corresponding exception for
packages which are still entirely in NEW.)

Ian.