Re: let's split the systemd binary package

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:49:48AM -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
> I believe that systemd/GNOME upstream is intentionally coupling the two
> in order to force adoption of systemd.  There are obviously others who

GNOME is not. And I'm speaking as a GNOME release team member.

A video of GNOME 3.10 running on OpenBSD:
https://www.bsdfrog.org/tmp/gnome310.webm

A link to the GNOME release team members:
https://wiki.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/Membership

Don't think I need to list the main systemd developers.

I can show you various bugreports by OpenBSD developers fixing things
and adding new support in GNOME.

But in brief:
- If you want something to happen, patches welcome
- OpenBSD sent patches
- systemd does not run on OpenBSD, GNOME 3.10 does
- if you want the things we rely on via systemd, but you don't want
  systemd but you do want GNOME to maintain that difference for you,
  then could be that you get a request to maintain something like that
  yourself
- we did assume that logind would always be separate from systemd as
  Canonical used it in 3.8 and requested freeze breaks to properly
  support that. v205+ that assumption proved to be wrong. Mea culpa.
- GNOME 3.10 runs on OpenBSD (probably good to repeat this :P)

--
Regards,
Olav