Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:47:52AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On 24 October 2013 08:39, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > No, please reread that mail from the release team.  It is a *proposal*
> > from the systemd maintainers to implement full systemd support.  The
> > release team have not said that they have endorsed this as a release
> > goal (and frankly, I don't expect them to do so; it's not the release
> > team's place to decide what Debian should use as its default init
> > system, and to endorse such a release goal would presuppose such a
> > decision).

> By my reading of the proposal, it doesn't change the default init system.
> It only proposes to ship systemd service file with every package that ships
> an init.d script, so if you don't want to change you don't have to. The
> release time can endorse this proposal and not make any decision on the
> default init system.

Yes, but the release team should not be giving some developer carte blanche
to upload such changes as NMUs to all service-providing packages in the
archive if it's not going to be our default init system.

> If Gnome depends on gnome-settings-daemon, which now depends on systemd,
> this might be a worrying trend, as non-Linux kernels don't support systemd.

Well, that's one more reason the init system and the dbus services should be
separated out in the packaging.