Re: Requesting DDs who want to help greet new contributors

On 30/07/13 at 12:00 -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Hi all Debianites,
>
> I've been inspired by the "Developer Advisory Team" in another
> project [1], and so I want to create a similar team within Debian.
> In this email, first I'll summarize what the concept of Developer
> Advisory Team is, and second I'll request help.
>
> The stated goals are:
>
> * Reach out to new contributors, thank them for their work and get
> feedback.
>
> * Reach out to people who might be ready to apply for upload rights
> and help them.
>
> * Reach out to contributors that went inactive and get feedback from
> them and offer help.

Hi,

I'm currently processing the answers to the survey I mentioned in [1].
Looking at what I've processed so far, one of the conclusions, I think,
will be that a very large proportion of people who managed to get their
first package uploaded had a friend or colleague to whom they could ask
questions when needed. This is not a bad thing per se, but it means that
it's much harder for people without such a "direct support channel" to
succeed.

This initiative could be the basis for a way for new contributors to
find such a "online Debian friend" that could then answer their
questions about BTS usage, packaging, etc.

Lucas

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/07/msg00010.html