Re: Innovation in Debian

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> I want the process to be something like:
>
>   - New PPAMAIN
>   - Upload new package
>   - "NMU" packages to work with the new stuff (this needs to be
>     something that the project is OK with) inside the PPA
>   - Fiddle
>   - Push it back up

I expect that "NMU" limited to a PPA (even PPAMAIN) will be mostly
non-controversial as long as they don't end up auto-migrated
to unstable without approval from the real maintainers.

So, to me, this service is certainly crucial to make it easier to
innovate and increase our pace of development.

> Screwing with setting up servers is absurd. I just want to hack. I don't
> want to maintain the archive. I don't want to maintain the servers. I
> don't want to support build boxen.
>
> We need to find a way to get the "boring" stuff out of the way for
> people excited about change, and not try to box them into non-breaking
> changes only while they work out the kinks.

+1

We can also do much better in making it easy to auto-setup all this
infrastructure for derivatives. Having gone through the process for Kali,
it's disheartening to end up picking reprepro and rebuildd because dak and
wanna-build/buildd are too complicated to setup.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/