Re: PulseAudio

 ❦ 19 juillet 2013 23:12 CEST, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> :

>> > So PA is not removing complexity, but adding to it. Surely a bit of
>> > complexity is needed to solve sophisticated tasks, but it could indeed
>> > do better. For instance pacmd list-* could get some verbosity switches
>> > and hide some details in the default view. Scanning a pacmd list-sinks
>> > output for the relevant info just takes too long (in addition to needing
>> > to scroll the terminal).
>>
>> Did you see the examples of asoundrc I posted? PulseAudio removes all
>> this non-sense by providing mixing in almost all situations (while Alsa
>> is doing it out of the box only for analog output), correct setup of
>> output (no need to remap channels), provide a sane naming of output (no
>> meaningless numbered outputs),
>
> I'm not aware of PulseAudio being capable of doing this, at least not in the
> version in wheezy.  That "non-sense" of asoundrc you're speaking of is
> required to have an usable multi-channel setup for N > 2.  PA will set all
> weights to 1, which in a real-world room produces a worse result than a
> two-speaker setup.  Unless your room is specifically built for a media
> center, you can't reasonably place speakers in arbitrary places.
>
> Not sure about current state, but at the very least a brief search doesn't
> reveal any such functionality accessible to the user.  Which might mean
> either that it doesn't exist or that the docs are worse than terrible.
>
> A channel weight matrix is basic functionality for multi-channel.  ALSA
> provides it from the start -- it's right in the rc you need to copy to
> get any fancier setup.

That's not a channel weight matrix, that's a remap of the channels. It's
not something fancy to have the rear left channel go to the rear left
speaker.

As for the channel weight matrix, it's usually the job of the AV
amplifier to do that. And of course PulseAudio has also something like
that: run pavucontrol and move the sliders for each channels. I don't
see exactly the point to go to the documentation for that. PulseAudio is
easy.

> And for non-fancier setups, ie, regular stereo, ALSA just works, and
> PulseAudio, relying on ALSA, is nothing but an additional moving part
> that can break.

Maybe you missed some features like mixing in almost all situations
(while Alsa is doing it out of the box only for analog output), provide
a sane naming of output (no meaningless numbered outputs), universal
support for multiple input and output devices with per-application
selection, per application volume, per application output, out of the
box Bluetooth support with no need to put a MAC address in your
asoundrc, network transparency with autodiscovery.

For years, Linux had the reputation of having a terribly difficult audio
setup and thanks to PulseAudio and its now wide support in applications,
this is now behind us.
--
Make your program read from top to bottom.