Re: PulseAudio

On 07/18/2013 01:39 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Kubuntu never shipped KDE 4.0 as it's default/primary desktop.  In 8.04, it
was KDE 3.5.9, IIRC, might have been .8.  There were KDE 4.0 packages, but no
one got them unless they installed them on purpose.

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

What I said before. KUbuntu were among these who shipped KDE 4 *long*
before it was considered really usable [1]. Yes, you can blame upstream
for tagging something as KDE 4.0.x or even 4.1.x as stable, however
it were the distributions who made the jump way too quickly which
ended up damaging KDE's reputation and sparked things like the
Trinity fork and KUbuntu was one of these.

One of my friends is a KDE developer and he often complained about
that. His words were usually "Why on earth are they (KUbuntu) shipping
that already? It's not ready for production yet and we end up
getting pointless bug reports about things we already know."

The same happened with PulseAudio. Ubuntu already shipped it when
it simply wasn't mature enough yet which also left a very bad impression
on it. Versions prior around 0.9.20 had just many problems still.

And, coming back to what I said in my reply to Steve: Yes, Fedora are
usually the ones who ship all that fancy new stuff first. However,
Fedora has a completely different target audience. Fedora is and
never was targeted at the Average Joe but the advanced user and
developer who wants to test-drive these new technologies whereas
the developers behind Fedora are very often upstream developers from
GNOME, X.Org or the Kernel and just need a playground for their
projects.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz