Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On 19/07/13 11:48, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I didn't know about the init= method and was assuming the systemd-sysv
> method.  Anyway, my point is that I suspect the vast majority of the
> systems with the systemd package installed are not actually using it as
> process 1.
>
> The upstart package takes over process 1, so 100% of the systems with the
> upstart package installed are using it as process 1.  The same is true of
> systemd-sysv, of course.
>
> I don't think there's a way to do a straight apples to apples comparison
> on adoption based on the current popcon numbers.  The number of people
> running systemd is more than the install count of systemd-sysv, but less
> (and I suspect much less) than the install count of systemd.

The wiki page[0] (first hit on google for "debian systemd") recommends
installing the systemd package and adding the init= line. That would
probably explain the popcon numbers.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/systemd
--
Regards,