Re: Survey answers part 3: systemd is not portable and what this means for our ports

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 08:10:16PM +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:

> >> Last I heard, that was exactly systemd fanbase complain: that everyone
> >> just complained without even trying it based on hearsay.
> >> So, lets try "leading by example", shall we?

> > There is no systemd fanbase. I am not favoring systemd because I like
> > Lennart or because I think the name is cool, but because systemd is
> > objectively the far superior solution developed by experienced developers.

> > Debian isn't a toy project, it's supposed to be used on production systems.

> The benefit of being the "objectively far superior solution" is that you don't
> need to be scared of competing with inferior solutions, as you will always
> win in Debian. No name calling, no politics, no popularity contest, just pure
> clear objective facts everyone can validate by trying it out.

This ignores the cost of having to repeatedly deal with mailing list
threads, bug reports, etc. from people who are blind to the technical
limitations of the solution they're championing.  People aren't bothered by
OpenRC because it might win, they're bothered because its advocates fail to
understand why they've already lost before they've begun.