Re: ITP: qucs -- an integrated circuit simulator with a graphical user interface

2013/7/5 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 04:10:17PM +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> Le 3 juil. 2013 14:50, "José Luis Redrejo Rodríguez" <jredrejo@debian.org>
> a écrit :
> >
> > I've been maintaining qucs since 2004 to 2012, so I know this package
> pretty well and I have already prepared most part of its debianization. Did
> you fill an ITP ?
> > We can arrange a qucs maintaining group if you want.
>
> We must first package adms*. I have an itp for it since one year and
> package under mentors.
>
> I welcome a comainting under debian science if needed.

Thanks for bringing Debian Science up - otherwise I would have done
this.  Luis, Debian Science repositories (SVN or Git as you prefer) are
writable for any DD so you can commit straight to it.  The package is
also mentioned in Debian Science task electronics - so it perfectly fits
here.  I'd strongly recommend using Debian Science Vcs for packaging
because your work will show up on the Blends sentinel even before it is
uploaded.

Andreas, I don't see it clear:
- For me qucs is education related more than science, so, I'd consider it in debian-edu more than in debian-science
- I've been qucs maintainer for 8 years, and filled the needed itp to have it again in the archive after a qt4 version looks to be working.
- I don't like at all  Adms in qucs, its compilation in most Debian platforms is not very clear, and it looks more like a patch than a program
- If Adms is a problem I will check how qucs works without Adms, because there's not a working circuits simulator in Debian for secondary and vocational teaching (oregano is totally buggy and geda is a joke for teenagers). If verilog part must be removed to compile and work correctly in Debian I think that can be assumed, as there are some compilers and simulators to use verilog in Debian  which are suitable for adults or university students.

But...
I'd be glad to consider maintaining qucs with someone who is collaborating with upstream and would be happy to see this mess finishing and having again qucs in the Debian archive. As I've previously said, it's a needed tool as there are no graphical working electronics simulators in Debian. My students are using now https://www.circuitlab.com/ because of it. If Bastien has tested the compilation of adms in non intel architectures and it's not a problem we could go ahead, but I need more info to avoid the stalling of qucs in sid because of Adms problems with the builders. As I've said before, qucs should work without Adms and verilog is not a must for me when I think in the secondary and vocational teaching world.

Regards
José L.