Re: Reporting 1.2K crashes

Le Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:35:51PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>     Every package must be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright
>     information and distribution license in the file
>     /usr/share/doc/package/copyright. This file must neither be compressed
>     nor be a symbolic link.
>
>     In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
>     (if any) were obtained, and should name the original authors.
>
> Upstream-Name and Upstream-Contact should not be deprecated in the
> copyright format unless that part of Policy is changed through the normal
> Policy process, which will require dealing with the reasons why we have
> required the provenance of the upstream source be documented in
> debian/copyright and finding a good alternative solution that can be
> similarly required.  It may well be that debian/upstream is that good
> alternative solution, but note that it needs to be required at the should
> level to be a replacement for that Policy requirement.

Hi Russ and everybody,

the original authors are not always the contact points.  Some projects are
fortunate to have helpdesks, for instance.  Some authors require to be
contacted on the project's mailing list.  All of this makes the
Upstream-Contact field a weak took for complying with the Policy.

Fortunately, this requirement is a "Should".  In my case, I include statements
of authorship if they are provided in upstream files, and otherwise, I do not
attempt at drawing the line between which contributor is "Author" and which is
not.  At least in science, authorship it is a very hot and political issue that
is best to be left to the authors themselves.

I personally wouldn't mind the Policy being relaxed on that point
(http://bugs.debian.org/678607#10).

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy