Re: jessie release goal: verbose build logs

Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
> This doesn't really help when trying to diagnose things, and even for successful
> builds it's valuable to have the complete build log, including the parts how the
> upstream build system is called from the Debian packaging.

This is a useful goal. However, since fixing many different source
packages is a lot of work I recently explored some alternative
approaches. For example, with systemtap we can simply log all execve()
invocations complete with timing information and end up with fully
structured build logs.

Here's example output from the proof of concept from a few years ago:

http://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/structured-buildlogs/logs/hello-2.6-1_amd64.build

Don't take me wrong, I don't intend to replace any of the existing
infrastructure, I'm simply exploring new ways to (ab)use systemtap :-)