Re: x32 “half” arrived… now what?

Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> writes:

> No complaints against x32 per sé, I want to crossgrade there once it’s
> in, but for as long as it’s broken like this, it doesn’t make it look
> good.

Be aware that x32 has sizeof(time_t) > sizeof(long), so you should expect
SUBSTANTIAL porting of packages to be required.  Particularly since that
arrangement is explicitly unsupported by the GNU coding standards:

    Similarly, don't make any effort to cater to the possibility that
    `long' will be smaller than predefined types like `size_t'.

Note that most of these problems will not show up as build failures, but
as (generally silent) runtime corruption or crashes.

It's not quite as bad as the porting required for large file support, but
the consequences of not porting are worse.