Re: Debian systemd survey

On Thu, 23 May 2013 14:17:43 +0200
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> > So if your comment is a
> > fair critique of upstart proponents, then mine is an equally fair critique
> > of systemd proponents.
>
> I’m not criticizing the fact that upstart comes from Ubuntu. I disagree
> with the idea of having Ubuntu as the sole origin of innovation in the
> project. It gives bad habits to both Debian and Ubuntu if the natural
> thing to do to make things happen in Debian is to make them happen in
> Ubuntu first. For a comparable innovation, I’m thankful to Canonical for
> making multiarch happen, but the fact that we have waited for Ubuntu to
> make it happen is the symptom of a Debian problem that needs solving.

Multi-Arch in Debian could have moved faster but Debian has a more
complex use-case for Multi-Arch than Ubuntu and was in freeze longer.

Innovation involves making mistakes and fixing things quickly - some of
that comes from having repositories to which uploads can be made
quickly and independently of processes not directly involved with that
particular development path, e.g. transitions in unrelated packages,
release freeze when the development path is not yet stable etc.

Debian is moving in a direction which can fix these problems by making
archives accessible in a way which does not have to affect everyone
else.

Making (or allowing for) mistakes in a large project is too disruptive
to allow in the main flow of the project. We need sandboxes which are
more than just a few local chroots and I'm very glad to see that this is
being implemented.

Debian has a reputation for stability and reliable releases.
Innovations like this should be able to ease the release process, keep
Debian releases just as stable as before and make things easier for
those who do want to drive innovative ideas within Debian itself.

There's no need to think that all future innovation will be constrained
by previous Debian workflows.

--

Neil Williams