Re: Debian systemd survey

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 02:45:54PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 22 mai 2013 à 08:16 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> > - there are 300+ upstart job files ready to be imported from Ubuntu

> When you compare the time it takes to write an upstart job file or a
> systemd unit file, to the time it takes to proprely test it, I don’t
> think this argument makes any sense.

Please leave the FUD at the door.  Writing upstart jobs is not difficult;
while there are some gotchas currently with process lifecycle (which will be
fixed soon), there is also very complete documentation (for these issues,
and generally).

  http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/

> If the only things we do for improving the distribution are to take stuff
> from Ubuntu because, well, it’s here, we might as well stop developing
> anything at all.

Sure; obviously the right thing to do is to instead take stuff from GNOME
and freedesktop.org without regard to integration with our existing system,
because if Lennart says it's right it must be so.