Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> writes:

> Well, relative to other languages, I think Python's had the most changes
> with regards to build helper tools -- there was dh_pycentral, and
> dh_pysupport in the past which did more or less the same thing in
> different ways, and now we have dh_python2, and dh_python3. In contrast,
> Mono stuff have only had the dh_cli* set of things, and Java only had
> the javahelper bunch of things.

Java also has Maven helper tools (maven-debian-helper and
maven-repo-helper).

The iterating on Python tools has partly been because there were various
problems with doing the right thing and various possible workarounds for
integration issues that were then resolved in part by upstream changing
things there so that Debian could do what we need to do.  I don't think
the quantity of tools is itself a sign of a problem.  (There have been
other things around Python package maintenance that have been problems,
though, but seem to be getting better.)