Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

Hilko Bengen, 2013-02-06 14:46:11 +0100 :

[...]

> I am pretty sure that if you asked about packaging software in the
> Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, Lua communities, you would get recommendations
> to not use Debian packages at all and get pointers to what the
> respective community considers a solution to the packaging problem (if
> they see it as a problem at all).

  I can only speak about Python and Perl, but I don't remember *ever*
having been told to use their deployment system instead of the packaged
versions of the interpreter and modules.  The closest I've seen is
something like "if you're running CentOS or RHEL, then you'll need this
plethora of modules that are not packaged, so please use our
language-specific system to install them instead".

  So it is possible for a language community to work with the
distributors rather than against.  The fact that some communities
(insert your favourite pet peeve here) choose not to shouldn't be
construed as an impossibility.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus.