Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> writes:

> My co-developer (on the MirBSD side) benz has written a script that
> almost automates creation of a port (source package) from/for a CPAN:
> http://www.slideshare.net/bsiegert/painless-perl-ports-with-cpan2port
> (It looks even MacPorts has adopted it!)

> Of course, it needs some manual review (and someone’d have to convert
> its output to Debian source packages, or merge it into the already
> existing dh-make-perl which also somewhat worked when I tried it), but
> it would make achieving this goal possible (and let running dpkg require
> 128 MiB of RAM or so, to fit the list of packages into it, I guess, but
> even those Amigas have that).

Do you think there's something substantial missing from the existing
Debian packaging of Perl modules?  I'm quite happy with what Debian is
doing already and am somewhat dubious there is any point in changing
anything.  Most of what's available in CPAN that isn't already packaged is
either new or quite obscure, and much of what's available but obscure
probably *shouldn't* be packaged: it's buggy, abandoned, an inferior
version of something that's already packaged, or otherwise just not of
general interest.