Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51:12PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> > > udev and pulseaudio are developed by the same developers. Both daemons
> > > interact very closely and integration of the sources was the natural
> > > consequence.
> > >
> > > glibc and the kernel is developed by the same group of companies. Both
> > > interact very closely and integration of the sources was the natural
> > > consequence.
> > >
> > > Internet explorer and Windows are developed by the same company. Both
> > > interact very closely and integration of the two was the natural
> > > consequence.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure I agree with any of those arguments.
> >
> > Ok, I should have added that both udev and systemd are also very
> > closely related. So there are certainly benefits of merging the code.
>
> Until their source repositories were combined, there was little
> "close relation" between the two.  They might be more related now
> that they exist in the same git repo, but I remain highly
> sceptical of the technical and other benefits of this merge.  A
> tool which is fundamentally geared to creating device nodes and
> other tasks related to that need not be tightly-coupled with /any/
> init system.
[...]

That's what udev *was*, originally.  Now it's a daemon that performs
more or less arbitrary actions when various events are reported by the
kernel.  Which is more or less what a modern init system does, only
restricted to a particular type of event.  It makes a fair bit of
sense to integrate all the events that may trigger service changes,
without spawning a shell to pass each of the device events across.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus