Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems (was: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev)

On 11/14/2012 11:12 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this is an interesting read:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2262
>
> The full thread is here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2262
>
> As Gentoo guys and some major kernel people are protesting about the
> insanity Kay and Lennart have done to udev, probably this is a window of
> opportunity to stop being annoyed in Debian, by brutal RedHat decisions
> which we don't necessarily (have to) agree on (eg: move to /usr, merge
> with systemd, etc.).
>
> Thoughts anyone? Would anyone have time to work with Gentoo? What is the
> view of the kernel team and the udev (marco?) maintainers?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas
This thread was originally about udev, yet everyone is starting again the
systemd / upstart / sysv-rc war. I think we can agree that we don't about
the init system, and it wasn't my intention to restart this debate.

However, how should Debian see this udev fork? Could it be beneficial to
Debian somehow? Is there the will to maintain it? Are the udev (or kernel)
maintainers opposing this (future) fork to enter Debian? If yes, on what
ground? Is it even realistic to think Debian could use such a fork, which
probably the upstream kernel maintainers wont support? What is the view
of kernel.org people on this btw?

I still have no answer to these... Yet udev is a crucial piece of software,
and I've been told in this list that mdev is a toy that isn't fit for
the job.

Thomas