Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Nov 29, 2012, at 03:40 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

>Plus, you have to sign a contributor's agreement with Canonical which leaves
>a bad taste in my mouth. That shouldn't be the case with true free software,
>should it?

In an ideal world maybe it shouldn't, but in truth it is for both open source
and free software.  As project leader of a GNU project, with copyrights owned
by the FSF, I am required to obtain copyright assignments from contributors,
which some folks feel are more onerous than contributor agreements.  Open
source projects like Python require contributor agreements for core
developers, and this is not an uncommon requirement.

We can argue about specific contribution legal documents and policies
(although hopefully, not here ;) but not about whether they are a reality in
today's FLOSS world.

Cheers,
-Barry