Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 16:32:41 +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
> On 15/11/2012 16:11, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > TBH, I'd not trust my system to *any* critical service that uses dbus,
> > AFAIK it still asserts on error conditions (including non-programmer
> > errors). Whenever I've had to code a critical service that needed to
> > use dbus, I've confined its execution to a subprocess.
>
> AFAIK g_assert() and assert() get compiled into nothing when debugging
> is turned off, which is what's done for release builds.

dbus uses its own assert function (_dbus_real_assert(), not based on
either assert() or g_assert()), when DBUS_DISABLE_ASSERT is undefined.

In any case, you are right, its use seems to be only enabled on debug
builds in Debian (--enable-asserts used on debian/rules), which is
good, AFAIR this did not use to be the case in the past.

thanks,
guillem