Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Nov 14, 2012, at 6:43 PM, lego12239@yandex.ru wrote:

>> Modern computer systems are much more versatile and complex than they were at the time when System V Init was conceived.
>
>  Some things must be as simple as possible even today.

Care to elaborate why? To save memory on an 8 GB workstation? Even the 25 US$ Raspberry Pi has enough power for systemd.

Are you also choosing FAT32 over ext4 because it is simpler?

Why are we having Fibre Channel support in the kernel? Why does the kernel include a virtual machine hypervisor? Why do we support IPv6?

We could just go back and stick with our good old SunOS 4 boxes.

>> I honestly think that people who are fighting modern software like systemd, pulse-audio or udev are simply fearing that their expertise in hacking configuration files in order to get things working are no longer needed anymore. They fear that the average joe can install and set up a Linux box without their help.
>
>  May be init today should has some new features, but systemd is not such new
> init. systemd is a wrong way. See plan9 for a good design examples.

What makes you think that systemd does it the wrong way? They are using a very similar concept that Apple uses very successfully on MacOS X since 10.4 while no one in this universe has ever touched Plan 9 again.

People are constantly insisting that systemd is too bloated or unreliable, but yet no one has really come up with real examples to prove that.

Yes, the core binary of System V Init is smaller than systemd's. However, System V Init needs a lot of bloat in form of hacky bash scripts using even more external tools like sed and awk to be actually useful in any regard.

And I think it makes way more sense to have all the functionality of the init system integrated into it's core binary rather than depending on external scripts which will hopefully do what init expects from them.

Adrian